Let start off with Acronyms!
LGBT = Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender
Most common and inclusive way to refer to the entire community (GLBT can be used interchangeably)
IGLTA = International Gay and Lesbian Travel Association
Organization made up of LGBT Travel and tourism industry professionals
TAG Approved = Travel Alternatives Group
A hotel certification program that includes more than 1,800 properties worldwide. TAG Approved properties must meet certain standards, which include enforcement of non-discriminatory sexual orientation policies and LGBT sensitivity training for employees.
Did you know:
- The LGBT community represents approximately 4.5% of the US population
- 1 in 7 people has a gay family member, co-worker, neighbor or friend
- 44% of gay men and 65% of lesbians live with a partner (so they already have their travel companions!
- 5% of gay men have children
- 20% of lesbians have children
- 85% of gays and lesbians take annual vacations, compared to national average (65%)
- Because gay and lesbian adults are less likely to have children than heterosexual adults, it may come as no surprise that they have more pets! 71% of LGBT adults own pets (compared to 63% of heterosexual adults), so a hotel’s pet policies may be important to them.
There is always something going on with LGBT organizations…Here are a few samples
- International Gay and Lesbian Aquatics
- Gay Games
- Gay Softball Association (NAGAAA & ASANA)
- International Gay Bowling Organization
- International Federation of Black Prides
- International Gay Rodeo Association
- Lesbian and Gay Band Association
- National Gay Pilots Association
- National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce
- GALA Choruses
- GLMA – Gay Lesbian Medical Association
- Out and Equal – the federation of LGBT ERGs (Corporate Employee Resources Groups)
Here are some Gay and Lesbian Travel Magazines to check out:
Out Traveler- www.outtraveler.com
Passport Magazine www.passportmagazine.com
This is all Thanks to Ask Charlie!